Effective November 1, 2021
Who We Are
Note regarding the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): We do not contemplate offering goods or services to individuals in the European Union except to U.S. service members and Department of Defense personnel and their families who are stationed in Europe and choose to participate in our programs through the Boy Scouts of America, Transatlantic Council based at U.S. Army Garrison Benelux in Brussels, Belgium.
To the extent we collect or process personal information of individuals in the European Union, we will do so in accordance with this policy. Should you have questions or concerns regarding your personal information, or to submit a data subject request regarding your personal information please submit a request. For further information consistent with the requirements of GDPR, please see the Region-Specific Disclosures section below.
Note regarding definitions: The following terms, as used in this policy, have the following meanings:
- “Personal information” means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s name, postal address, email address, telephone number, and birth date. When anonymous information is directly or indirectly associated with personal information, the resulting information also is treated as personal information.
- “Anonymous data” means information that does not directly or indirectly identify, and cannot reasonably be used to identify, an individual person.
- “Aggregate data” means information about groups or categories of people, which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual person.
What We Collect
We collect two basic types of information – personal information and anonymous data – and we may use personal information and anonymous data to create a third type of information, aggregate data. For example, we collect:
- Membership information you provide when you join the Boy Scouts of America, either as a youth member or adult volunteer, including your first name and last name, physical address, email address, phone number, birth date, and gender
- Registration information you provide when you create an account or sign up to participate in one of our events or activities, including your first name and last name, physical address, email address, username, and password, and, in some cases, health and medical information
- Transaction information you provide when you request information, purchase a product, service, or subscription from us, or make a monetary donation to us, whether on our sites or through our applications, including your postal address, telephone number and payment information
- Information about awards, advancements, recognition, and training you have received in connection with your participation in our programs
- Information you provide in public forums on our sites and applications
- Information sent by you either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post, or similar functionality, where we are permitted by law to collect this information
- Information you provide to us when you use our sites and applications, our applications on third-party sites or platforms such as social networking sites, or link your profile on a third-party site or platform with your registration account
- Location information when you visit our sites or use our applications, including location information either provided by a mobile device interacting with one of our sites or applications (including through beacon technologies), or associated with your IP address, where we are permitted by law to process this information
- Usage, viewing and technical data, including your device identifier or IP address, when you visit our sites or use our applications, how much time you spend on our sites or using our applications, and when you open emails we send
How We Collect Information
We collect your personal information when you provide it to us while requesting or ordering products, services, or information from us, registering with us (e.g., for a program, an event, or an activity), entering a contest or promotion, subscribing to our services, participating in public forums on our sites and applications, responding to surveys, or otherwise interacting with us through our websites and applications. We collect anonymous data through technology, such as cookies, and Web beacons, that we use to operate our websites and applications. For further information about those technologies, please see the Your Controls and Choices section of this policy.
How We Use Information
Consistent with applicable law and choices and controls that may be available to you, we may use information collected from you, or from devices associated with you, to:
- Provide you with the products, services, and/or information you have requested, purchased, or won (e.g., in a contest or promotion)
- Communicate with you about your membership (or your expressed interest in membership), your account, or transactions with us and to send you information about features on our sites and applications or changes to our policies
- Manage, accommodate, and administer your needs (e.g., medical treatment, physical limitations) and choices (e.g., programming) as a participant in our events
- Deliver relevant offers and promotions for our programs, events, products, and services or those of a third party, based on your activity on our websites or applications
- Personalize content and experiences for you that reflect your choices and preferences
- Provide useful features to simplify your experience when you return to our sites and applications
- Operate, understand, optimize, develop, or improve our products, services, events, programs, communications, and operations
- Administer and enforce our policies concerning health and safety, including our Youth Protection Training requirements and our Annual Health and Medical Record requirements
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Send you information related to your charitable contributions